Learn to Oil Paint with a Palette Knife | Instant Access!
Paint an expressive oil painting in fifteen 10-minute video lessons!
In this video series, artist Paul Richmond breaks down the fundamentals of oil painting with a palette knife into 10-minute exercises that will help you learn the skills of this popular technique.
Students will create one original painting from start-to-finish during this course, each lesson containing another step in the process.
You will be amazed at how much your painting skills will improve in a short time with focused, daily practice. Paul's gentle, lighthearted approach will make learning fun and keep you coming back for more. No artistic experience is needed. This course is great for beginners and will introduce you to the medium of oil painting while covering the techniques of capturing the subject (a goat!). No prior experience is needed. This is also a good refresher for more experienced artists who want to practice a more expressive approach.
Oil paint is an incredible medium that you can use in so many different ways. Learning the basics is important because it gives artists a foundation to build on. This course will start at the very beginning and walk you through the steps and techniques of creating an original oil painting, but instead of using a brush, we will be using a palette knife for the majority of the piece.
- At the beginning, we will go over all the materials and how they will be used.
- This is followed by a monotone underpainting - covering the entire image with different shades of a single color to work out the value structure of the image.
- Next we will begin applying layers of thick, juicy paint with the palette knife.
- Finally we will add in fine details with a brush to complete the image!
Students can apply the skills learned in this course to create more oil paintings of any subject matter and in any style. The sky’s the limit once you learn the basics!
Paul has been teaching students to paint for over twenty years. This class covers the most effective techniques he has discovered for helping artists learn how to create beautiful expressive oil paintings. This class is great for beginners and also a refresher for anyone who wants to get back to the basics of painting.
How It Works
Immediately after purchasing this course, you will receive a pdf by email containing the link to watch all of the course videos. You have unlimited access to these videos.
Download the sketch of the model on the Lesson 1 page of the course. Print it out at 100% size to be used in the first lesson.
You are welcome to work with any acrylic painting materials you'd like, but here's a list of everything Paul will be using in this series:
- 8" x 10" stretched canvas
- Acrylic paint - primary colors (red, blue yellow), white, and black are all that’s necessary. Additional colors if possible: brown, green,
- Acrylic paintbrushes - variety of sizes
- Paint tray or palette paper
- Soft-lead pencil (4B or 6B)
- Cup of water and paper towels
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.